Thursday, April 14, 2011

Just Keeps Getting Better

Last month I found out I was accepted into the University of Utah's Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program. It was a pretty exciting day for me and all my family and friends. The program only accepts 10 students each year out of hundreds of applicants so I definitely feel special. I keep wondering if maybe they made a mistake but I'm not going to be the one to correct them! I didn't think I was going to get in this year because of my brief resume and young age but I must have done something right!
The program is 8 semesters long and I will graduate with a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree. Doctor Kennedy at age 27...not too shabby! I plan on further specializing in Trauma so I can work in an ED or ICU and be very marketable for the Air Force.
I am very nervous to start school. First of all, I don't know what I am going to do for living expenses. Being in a doctorate program I'm not going to be able to work full time if at all and I really don't want to rack up a huge debt from student loans. I'm not worried about paying tuition because I plan on working at the U after graduation to get most of my tuition paid for and the rest will come from student loans. Second, I am terrified I don't have enough experience so I'm going to look like the retard of the class. And finally, I'm afraid I'm going to be the youngest one of the class and have to try to prove myself. I guess I'll just have to deal so I can meet my goal.
As I look back things are slowly but surely getting better for me and my life. I have some of my goals within my reach and it is so exciting! I have been positive and taken risks and I am seeing the benefits of my hard work and positive outlook.

1 comment:

  1. congratulations kennedy, I'm sure you'll do great, (heidi's mom)

    ReplyDelete